Thursday, September 15, 2016

BLOGGER INTERVIEW: TO BE BRIGHT



We are honored to be interviewing fashion blogger from To Be Bright today here on Tippy Taste Jewelry. Read on to learn about how this ambition girl found her passion in fashion after giving up her lifelong sport, and her advice on how to succeed in the fashion industry at NYC. You can also find her on Instagram and Facebook 
______________________________________

Hello Tilden, can you share with us a little about yourself? (where are you from, what you do
etc)Im 23 years young, born and raised in NJ and currently living in NYC. I work full-time at an executive retail industry search firm called Martens & Heads and with every moment in-between, I’m working on my personal style blog To Be Bright - http://tobebright.com. You can say I’m working around the clock with two jobs but both help pay the rent!

How did you first get into fashion?
Funny enough, I never realized my passion for this industry until I gave up my lifelong sport, literally, of horseback riding / nationally competing at age 20. I’ve been riding and showing horses since I was 5 years old and ended up receiving a scholarship to the University of South Carolina to ride on the NCAA Division I Equestrian Team. However, I realized that I wanted to discover who I was outside of the riding circuit and recognized that college was the chance of a lifetime to explore my options.

"After a few phone interviews with potential employers, I asked the interviewer what I could do in the meantime to “enhance” my candidacy for an internship in the competitive NYC area. The response, “Put everything you do online.” "

So when I resigned my position from the team, I then discovered I truly enjoyed both journalism and the art of putting outfits together for class. So I joined SC’s student magazine and started looking into PR fashion internships in NYC, realizing my OCD and fashion interest would probably do very well in that career field. After a few phone interviews with potential employers, I asked the interviewer what I could do in the meantime to “enhance”my candidacy for an internship in the competitive NYC area. The response, “Put everything you do online.”

Within minutes, I created a Wordpress account and started uploading my graphic design projects from class, my articles from the magazine as well as my outfit pictures - figuring this blog could reflect more of my personality and style than any ordinary paper resume ever could. Once I started posting fashion-related content, I received a tremendous amount of positive feedback from friends, family and soon strangers that came across my blog. Now after two years, To Be Bright has become a fully-focused personal style blog that came about in the most organic way possible. I couldn’t be happier with this new career goal/path and can’t wait for what the future has for me and my blog.


How would you describe your style?

I would describe my style as “transitional street style with an edgier side.” I’m not one to gravitate towards feminine clothing, the color pink or anything “preppy” unless it’s an amazing planner (I have this thing with journals/planners and scheduling) #OCDProblems


"I’m a sucker for anything minimalist, gold and custom"

What is your favorite piece of jewelry that you own?
Ahhh that’s so hard to decide! I’m a sucker for anything minimalist, gold and custom - right now I have these adorable stackable gold bar rings that have custom engravings on all four of them representing my blog. I wear them all day, everyday (even to bed.)

Where do you usually buy your jewelry from?
I’ve been privileged to receive some amazing custom jewelry on behalf of designers looking to collaborate on my blog but if I’m ever on the hunt for something to buy on my own, I always browse Etsy.com to find those hidden handcrafted gems you can’t find anywhere else. I love helping out a small business, especially one that is willing to make you the perfect piece of jewelry you’ll end up wearing forever.

"The way I see it, the right necklace can be a conversation piece and the right bracelet can turn heads the same way a pair of heels can."

Jewelry seems to be treated as an “after thought.” What do you think about that?
I can see why that can be so, as jewelry is often an everyday wearable item and can easily be taken for granted if so. However, I definitely own some amazing pieces that cannot match up to every item I wear everyday so I have to make the proper adjustments in order to wear that bold statement necklace. The way I see it, the right necklace can be a conversation piece and the right bracelet can turn heads the same way a pair of heels can - you just have to start thinking that way when you get dressed in the morning and soon enough, accessorizing your jewels will become second nature.




"Don't be afraid to take risks and never underestimate your potential."

Lastly, what advice would you give someone that want to go into the fashion industry at NYC?
Don’t be afraid to take risks and never underestimate your potential - I applied to so many different jobs in the beginning of my career (internship and full-time) because I knew how competitive this city is. However, I also knew my strengths and where my talent lies so I wasn’t afraid to show it off when the opportunity arose. Just because the job description has one requirement you don’t currently possess doesn’t mean you don’t have the potential to prove them wrong. Not every job is the “dream” and most of the time, you’ll probably wish for greener pastures but remember this: EVERYONE starts off this way and once you have your foot in the door, you’re on your way.

______________________________________

We hope you enjoyed reading this interview as much as we do. Stay tuned for more at Tippy Taste Jewelry. Thank you!
Photo credits: Tilden Brighton, To Be Bright

No comments:

Post a Comment